Thursday, September 18, 2008

One Of Many Things Wrong With The Church

Some of my “friends” on Facebook just joined the “Mothers Who Know Support Julie Beck” group and I can only assume the “…militant, feminist, priesthood-coveting, church-within-a-church pseudosaints online who think motherhood is a curse,” they are referring to are those women who frequent the Feminism Mormon Housewives website. Here's the belief bonding those in that Facebook group together.

“Didn’t you just love President Julie B. Beck’s talk in the October ‘07 conference?

So did I! It was inspiring. Motherhood is a great blessing and opportunity, and mothers should be honoured and supported in their role.

But not everyone thinks so… and now Sister Beck is the object of their resentment.

Join this group to say a big “No thanks” to the militant, feminist, priesthood-coveting, church-within-a-church pseudosaints online who think motherhood is a curse, babies are accidents, fathers should be mothers, women should be men, babysitters and schools should be the mothers, et cetera, et cetera.
No, thank you. The word of God tells us otherwise.

Children still need mothers, even in modern times… and empowering women does not mean turning them into men.

God bless the mothers, and the mothers in spirit. Thank you, Sister Beck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really fail to see how this is "one of the many things wrong with the church." I must have missed the conference talk or scripture etc that directed us to join stupid online groups. I think you have the church and people who happen to belong to the church confused. The gospel is perfect, the people trying to live the gospel certainly are not.

Molly Mormon said...

You shall know them by their fruits---this is fruit, what does that say about the tree?

Anonymous said...

There are all kinds of idiots in every religion, organization, etc. that doesn't make the religion responsible fr their actions. That's like saying every stupid person in the world must have had bad parents. It's called free agency.

meg sanders said...

Beck is ordained by LDS church leadership. IF you believe they speak with God, then she is supposedly ordained by Him.
She must have received her idea and words from God.
They picked her...they're responsible for her words.
P.S. The doctrine is not perfect...Remember when Smith said men should take on multiple wives? Or that African Americans are descendents of Cain?

Maggie said...

I saw that group and I think I was either going to join or that I did... Not too sure but I'm not a fan of Facebook so it doesn't really matter.

The thing is I loved that talk and felt it needed to be said but I also love FMH and think the feminist bashing in their title is... well, telling.

My point is it is very possible to be both. There are more than just a few of us "church-within-a-church" types who loved Sis Becks words.

-Maggie

PS- this "No, thank you. The word of God tells us otherwise." is just classic! I hurt myself with the eye roll that one gave me.