Sunday, May 25, 2008

Help! My Ta-tas Are Caught In a Double Bind

For the most part I’ve always liked my breasts, once I was even brave enough to take them out for a public spin on a topless beach in Italy (my husband about died from embarrassment and then excitement lying on the beach towel next to me, nobody else cared)—of course this was before I had kids, resulting in a chest that now looks like two mounds of uncooked and over-kneaded pizza dough.

So I’ve now reached the age where female friends and acquaintances are finished having their families, so some have purchased new boobs. What, you say, aren’t we taught to love our God-given bodies? Well, yeah, and I’m sure they do, they probably just see them as temples with steeples that are wobbly or would look better without all the scaffolding around them. Which brings me to my point, there’s a double bind going on here ladies, one that has our breasts being pulled in opposite directions.

According to Forbes magazine, Salt Lake City is “America’s Vainest City,” scoring above Miami and L.A. I might add. While there were many factors that went into this great honor, the numbers were telling, http://www.forbes.com/. I thought someone at the magazine had messed up until I took a summer walk downtown for a looksie and started listening to the conversations of the women around me. Exhibit A- while at the park a few weeks back, I was eavesdropping on a group of five women sitting on a blanket, their kids on the playground. They were talking about when to get their “boob jobs” (I'm willing to bet that will be the only "job" some of them have outside of motherhood) and what cup size they’d get. I knew for certain these women were LDS due to the other topics they discussed, plus one of them flashed her garments above her capri's every time she bent over.

So, if the LDS church teaches that our bodies are temples, womanhood divine, why the record rush in Utah to change our physical form through cosmetics and surgery? I'm made to feel culturally that if I don't reflect female perfection in body and mind, I'm a failure, a frump. It seems the church sends out one message, mormon society another. Why are the messages contradicting? All I know is that on the morning of the resurrection you’ll know who I am--- I’ll be the only woman whose nipples are still pointing south.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mormon society scares me. It's the reason I'm glad I live far away from Utah and it would take a very considerable reason for me to ever move there. Like, an amazing career opportunity or a God-given commandment. As I've heard it said before, "The Church is True, but the people aren't necessarily"

Britta said...

Utah also scares me. I would have to live in a non-Mormon city to be really happy there. I don't like the idea of my kids being in the bubble...

Anyway... I've thought about plastic surgery myself, there are areas of my body that bother me sometimes more than others. It's a really hard decision. I'm in a position where the surgery would be free. But I don't know if it's the right thing to do. I worry about being vain. I think I need to accept myself as a whole, without surgery. But then there are those times where I am in body-hating mode and think surgery is a good option. Needless to say, it's a tough choice.

Anonymous said...

The oply times I would personally consider plastic surgery would be to tuck things after a dramatic weight loss, or after being disfigured in some way by a gruesome accident.

On the other hand, my very best friend, NEVER goes without a bra, determined to be the perkiest woman ever in the world, even at age 70. She admits she will go so far as being augmented, and if it comes to that she intends to install sound effects as well. The installation would be a "pinging sound" from directly behind the nipples, so that everyone will notice her perky bosoms! She's a crack-up if you can't tell.

Joanna said...

I live outside 'Zion' and I'm still planning on getting a boobjob. Again, it's a me thing. Yep, vain maybe. but, me. :) (Besides, even the temples close down for 'maintainence' every year!)

Anonymous said...

They close down for maintenance to keep things clean and in working order, not to make the spires bigger. :)

Anonymous said...

I so agree with joanna. I am going to just so I can keep my husbands eyes on me. As perfect as he may be his eyes still wanted off into lala tata land and I want to make sure that my body is up to par. I want to be modest about it but still I am in my 20's and already have 3 kids it would be a shame not to for me..

Anonymous said...

Since my mother, three aunts, and both grandmothers have either fought or lost to breast cancer...I will be having a Prophylactic mastectomy as soon as I'm done having kids. I have to say sometimes when I look in the mirror I'm excited for that day since I'll be getting implants to replace what's removed. After three kids The Girls could definitely use a pick me up. And I'm sure my husband won't mind too much!

Anonymous said...

I think there are so many young mothers in utah who give their bodies and hearts to rearing kids that who can blame a girl for wanting to recapture a little youth? i don't think it's a Utah thing- it's a young mothers thing.