Saturday, May 31, 2008

Of Good Report AND Praiseworthy

Originally my goal was to write everyday, but I've decided to do a "Good Report" section each Sunday instead. I pride myself on being what the author of The Tipping Point calls a "maven." Here's his definition:

"Mavens are the information gatherers of the social network. They evaluate the messages that come through the network and they pass their evaluations on to others, along with the messages. Mavens drive many of our social institutions. They are the people who inform the better business bureau, regulate prices, write letters to senators, etc. in order that the rest of us don't have to." Case in point, I've already written two letters this week, but lucky for my senator, I gave her the week off- bank and newspaper, one happy, the other no so much.

So, on Sunday's I'll post anything I've found that I think you might enjoy. My taste runs to the unusual as I'm constantly striving to experience some little-known piece of Eden, plus I try to avoid the trends everyone is clamoring for in hopes that I can enjoy the next fad before the masses mess it up.

Here's my offering for this week:

Rent the movie, "The King of Kong A Fistful of Quarters" This will take you back to high school chess club when the kid with coke-bottle glasses got mad and overturned the table causing a rumble to break out. Okay, that didn't happen, but this documentary is one awesome nerd fight about trying to be the world champion of Donkey Kong!

Please check it out and post a comment to let me know what you thought of the recommendation.

3 comments:

Britta said...

This movie doesn't sound like my kind of move. I like the idea of hearing your recommendations each week though.

Some kid said...

interesting blog.

Anonymous said...

My husband rented king of kong through netflix a few weeks back. I half-listened to it over my shoulder while I was on cafemom and it was... a walk down memory lane, in some ways. I was smack dab in the middle of the uber-geek group in high school, but thankfully most of them moved on in their lives.

I'm afraid that as a documentary, though, aside from subject matter, it was a little boring. But my husband was fascinated, sat the whole thing AND special features, too. blah.